Welcome to Waiapu Kids St Francis
Waiapu Kids St Francis is a community-based early childhood centre and service of Anglican Care Waiapu.
We provide quality care and education for up to 42 children in a mixed-age group setting.
The concept of ‘tuakana – teina’, is strongly valued at the centre and is seen in the reciprocal relationships between our older tamariki and infants and toddlers. This plays an important part in what we believe in, and base our work on. Children of different ages are encouraged to interact and learn from each other in a safe environment, sharing knowledge and experiences.
We value children’s play as the way in which they learn about the world around them. Different activities and opportunities are provided for children each day to extend their interests, develop social, emotional, and cognitive skills, and build self-confidence and creativity.
We have a great relationship with our community and enjoy often taking part in events and going on outings in the community. These strong links give the children a sense of belonging and identity as well as providing teachers with invaluable information and resources.
Waiapu Kids St Francis is situated in Western Heights.
At Waiapu Kids St Francis, we base our work and teaching practice on five pillars:
- Tangata Whenua – We recognise Te Tiriti o Waitangi and value socio-cultural awareness and knowledge.
- Kaitiakitanga – Caring for our environment and providing quality ECE that is accessible and affordable underpinned by Christian values of love, care and respect.
- Whanaungatanga – Effective relationships and partnerships with parents, whānau, and the wider community. Working with and alongside St Luke’s Church.
- Ako – Lifelong learners. We endeavour to deliver a programme that is innovative and builds upon children’s interests, recognising the holistic way in which they learn and grow.
- Manaakitanga – We value integrity, trust, sincerity, and equality.
These pillars can be seen in our relationships with whānau, tamariki, our community, and our environment. They are strengthened by our Christian values and teaching practice.
We promote children’s confidence and independence, and we have fun together!
Anglican Care Waiapu
We are part of Anglican Care Waiapu (ACW), an organisation delivering a range of social services throughout Bay of Plenty, Eastland, and Hawke’s Bay. You can find out more about ACW here.
As part of ACW and its early childhood education service, Waiapu Kids, we incorporate this philosophy into our practice and teaching:
“Waiapu Kids early childhood education services believe that each child is unique and created in the image of God.
Jesus showed a special care and respect for tamariki. This belief guides our practice and our commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi, tangata whenua, and the wellbeing of children and their whānau.”
Anglican Care Waiapu is committed to the wellbeing of tamariki and rangatahi and safeguarding them from harm or abuse. We take this commitment very seriously. Our Child Protection Policy is in line with the Vulnerable Children’s Act 2014 and must be adhered to by all staff and volunteers.
You can read the policy here.